Learning to Allow Jesus Christ to Live His Life Through Me so that I can Enjoy, in this life, those things that are meaningless in the next.

Friday, February 12, 2010

A Sad Day in Twin Cities History

Have you ever found a radio station that you enjoyed and stuck with it through many personality changes. Over the past 30 years I have enjoyed listening to AM1500 The Talk Station here in St. Paul. It has been a Talk radio station during this time. I have heard all sorts of personalities and political philosophy during these years. I was there when Rush Limbaugh came to town. I remember not only the beginning of Sports Talk with Joe and Pat but also when Joe started doing his afternoon show that became Garage Logic. I remember listening when Rookie joined the show both on Saturdays and the weekday show.
Recently KSTP decided on a format change to sports talk. I understand the economics side of the equation and the business side. The one thing I like about Saturday morning sports talk is Joe and Pat talked about many things including sports. Back when the Hubbard's decided to add the Twins baseball to the station I was disappointed but it explained to me why Jason Lewis had been allowed to leave.
Faced with new competition from national talk radio AM1500 could no longer compete. I kept listening because I enjoyed the local aspect of talk radio over the national news. Joe Soucheray still had many good shows but the station did what NBC recently did to local affiliates with the Jay Leno Show. The local news rating suffered because the Leno show had low ratings. In the same way Garage Logic has suffered due to the low ratings of the day time line up.
I don't know if the new format will interest me. I do see the end of Garage Logic in the near future with AM1500 moving into a Spanish format. I have no problem with Sports talk but ALL DAY LONG!

No comments: