Learning to Allow Jesus Christ to Live His Life Through Me so that I can Enjoy, in this life, those things that are meaningless in the next.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chasing Phantoms

I have been reading a wonderful book by Peter Gillquist called: Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith,” The story is about the group of people move from Evangelical Christianity to the Orthodox Christian Church. As this group studied church history they became convinced that the true Church was the Orthodox Church. I have been part of evangelicalism for many years and I understand the reasons for moving out of this movement. There is little meaning to anything the evangelicals do. A recent article on internetmonk.com talks about the coming Evangelical collapse. I see it coming.

My story is more in the Word of Faith movement. For 17 years I sat under a teacher whose basic learning technique was whatever the TV ministers were saying. It was the Church of the Whim. Whatever the latest fad on TV was that is what would be coming. When I left that group I tossed all my notes. Plus why are Evangelical/Charismatic minister so self centered. The whole world revolved around this guy. Anyway back to the Orthodox Church. I laid out a plan for myself to move back to the Ancient Christian Faith. How it will be revealed is unknown at this time but I do look forward to it. I am starting with two books I have ordered. The first is On The Incarnation by St. Athanasius. The book was a defense of the Christian faith against the Arianism. The second is a book on Orthodox spirituality.

No comments: