Learning to Allow Jesus Christ to Live His Life Through Me so that I can Enjoy, in this life, those things that are meaningless in the next.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Autobiography of Ben Franklin

I have been listening to an audio version of Ben Franklin’s Autobiography and have realized something. Over the years “success” books have come out being the “newest” thing in self improvement. I have tended to see them as rip-offs of Napoleon Hill’s material. After listening to Franklin I have concluded it is a vicious cycle in plagiarism. There is nothing new under the sun. The Success Movement started with Benjamin Franklin and continues to this day. I sad part is the modern church is also a product of Franklin’s Religion of Virtue. If you live good enough you will be accepted by God. I hear so many TV preachers talk about self improvement – if you confess the word just right or do this or do that and you will have blessings from God. The blessing of God are based upon His grace. I like Franklin’s ideas but I don’t use them to attempt to earn God’s favor.

We need to begin focusing upon the relationship aspect of the Gospel. I belonged to a club for 17 years were every week it was about how to get stuff from God. If the minister in charge ever talked about relationships it was just plain bad. He to this day doesn’t understand relationships and his whole message is based upon Napoleon Hill and Kenneth Hagin though he calls it the Gospel. I have enjoyed the Hagin’s teaching over the years but today I understand that isn’t the whole Gospel. When I listen to the “Faith” teachers on TV it is insanity. These people have made a quite a living off the gospel. Whatever happened to teaching about saving money as Malachi instructs. I will fill your barns, investments, with plenty and your presses, work, will burst forth with new wine. I suppose in away Franklin taught the importance of saving for the future. On a national level the question is, how can a nation build for the future without savings to buy the capital goods?

No comments: